TalkBack is a mobile screen reader that speaks text and image content on your screen. It is an essential tool designed for people who are visually impaired and useful to older adults who have reading difficulties. But, unfortunately, users may sometimes run into a touch screen not working issue, or you accidentally turn it on and don’t know how to turn off TalkBack. This article is an introduction to TalkBack and shows you some tips to fix those common TalkBack problems.
1. What is TalkBack
It is a built-in Android screen reader that is installed on your device when you bought it as part of Google’s Android Application Suite. How it works is that you use your finger to explore what is happening on the screen, and when you come across any element and text that you can’t see well on the device, TalkBack kicks in.
Here is the latest TalkBack tutorial released by Google.
2. TalkBack Common Problems
TalkBack is a great Android screen reader but unfortunately users may run into some operational problems like:
- Problem #1: You accidentally turn on the feature, but don’t know how to get rid of it.
- Problem #2: You may face a mobile touch not working problem in the middle of using the application. Here is referring to your device’s touchscreen not behaving normally or the device not responding to input, when you have already used TalkBack 2 finger gestures.
If you encounter those problems, you may try the following methods.
Method1: Turn Off TalkBack
Important: You need to swipe the screen by using two fingers, instead of one finger.
1. On your device, open Settings.
2. Select Accessibility and then tap TalkBack.
3. Turn Use TalkBack on or off.
4. Select Ok.
Method2: Reset Accessibility
If you are facing the second problem, Use the following steps to reset accessibility. The Talkback touch screen not working issue is most likely to be resolved as these steps help bring all accessibility settings including TalkBack back to factory defaults.
1. Scroll down to find General Management and tap on it.
2. Tap Reset.
3. Tap Reset Accessibility Settings. This will bring all accessibility settings back to factory defaults.
4. Tap the Reset settings button.
Make sure to read the short information on the screen before you hit it, and you may be asked to enter your security lock.
5. Tap the Reset button to proceed.
When finished, you’ll see a message at the bottom of the screen that says ‘Accessibility settings reset. And, the mobile touch problem caused by TalkBack should be fixed.